Prince William Sound Community College

Study in Alaska with No Out of State Tuition at PWSCC
Page Header of Travel



Travel Administrator:
Nan Haley

Fiscal Tech 1
Phone: (907) 834-1620
Fax: (907) 834-1627
Email: nahaley AT pwscc DOT edu

The PWSCC Business Office facilitates all college travel and motor pool vehicle check-out. It is our mission to ensure that college business travel is conducted cost effectively and efficiently within the guidelines established by the University Board of Regents. We hope that you find the following information helpful when planning your travel.

  • All Travel Authorizations must be approved before any travel arrangements are made, i.e. hotel reservations, airfare, and conference registrations. This is especially true if the trip will be funded by grant monies.
  • If arrangements are made prior to approval and the travel authorization is not approved, the travel requestor will be responsible for all travel costs.
  • Travel Authorizations must be filled out completely . Budget authorizers should make sure that the traveler has filled the request out completely to avoid delays in processing.
  • All anticipated expenses must be listed on the Travel Authorization. Attach a copy of the letter inviting you to attend the conference and schedule of events. We need an adequate record of where you are going and why.
  • Travel Expense Reports must be filled out completely . All expenses must be listed, even if they have already been paid. This is required so that there is a complete listing as to how much the trip actually cost.
  • Each day must be listed and the expense for each day recorded. All appropriate receipts must be attached to the expense report, including all boarding passes .
  • For expenses requiring receipts, you must provide the following: an itemized receipt which details each item purchased and a receipt showing how it was paid, i.e. a credit card receipt.
  • If paid with cash the receipt must state paid with cash and include your name.
  • Submitting only a credit card receipt is not acceptable as it does not show what was purchased, only the dollar amount paid.
  • UPON TRIP RETURN: all trip documentation, along with the Travel Expense Report, must be turned in to the Travel Administrator within 15 days.
  • Travel Authorization forms and Travel Expense Report forms can be found at the link below under Forms.

Travel Authorization form (TA) – the official approval form designated for documentation of all costs associated with a specific trip to meet federal income tax and internal reporting requirements, encumbrance of funds, and approval of related advances.

Travel Expense Report (TER) – the official document used by the traveler to account for all travel costs associated with authorized trips, as well as any related costs to be reimbursed to the traveler.

Travel Regulations

University Regulation: Travel and Relocation R05.02.06

These regulations provide detailed requirements and guidelines for implementation of Board of Regents Policy, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Regulations and OMB Circular A-21 (federal cost principles for institutions of higher education) related to travel.

Many of the regulatory and documentation requirements are intended to ensure compliance with IRS regulations regarding “accountable plans.”

Please reference the University Travel Regulations link below.

Student Travel Forms
Student Travel Forms (161.9 KiB)
Field Trip Info

If you are planning a field trip, contact the Business Office.

Helpful resources may be found at

Remote Travel

If you are planning remote or backcountry travel contact the Business Office.

Remote Travel Planning and Resource Guide

Remote Travel Safety

Travel Card

It is highly suggested that all College Departments apply for a University of Alaska issued Department Travel Card.

Per Diem Rates

Current, Alaska per diem is $44 per day.

Alaska per Diem:
UAA Alaska Per Diem Rates

Domestic/Foreign per Diem:

Mileage Reimbursement Rates

Mileage reimbursement rates: Effective January 1, 2011 ~ .51 cents per mile.

Mileage Report:

Driving Record Verification

Employees that are required to drive or frequently use college vehicles must verify their driving record and complete a University of Alaska driver authorization category 1 or category 2 form.

Information can be found at

Motor Pool Information

Insurance Coverage

The University of Alaska is self-insured for vehicle collisions. There is a $2,500 deductible that will be charged to the department who used the vehicle.

The University maintains liability coverage for all University vehicles. This coverage protects authorized operators from claims of third parties for bodily injury or property damage, provided the vehicle was operated for and on behalf of the University.

Personal Damage
Students and passengers who are not University employees are not insured by the worker’s Compensation Program and are responsible for providing their own medical insurance.

Personal Injury
The University does not provide insurance coverage for personal property. Individuals are responsible for this coverage.

Vehicle Checkout Policies

A Vehicle checkout reservation must be submitted in one of the following ways:

  • Phone Request: (907) 834-1620
  • Fax Request: (907) 834-1627
  • In person at the Business Office

If the requested pickup date and time is less than 24 hours from the time of the request contact the Business Office directly at (907) 834-1620. Every effort will be made to fill a last minute request, however vehicle availability cannot always be guaranteed.

You will need the following information to make a reservation:

  • Department name and phone number
  • Destination and purpose of trip
  • Name(s) and drivers license number(s) of the person(s) operating the vehicle
  • The date and time the vehicle is to be picked up and returned
  • Type and number of vehicle(s) and any special equipment needs.
  • UA Driver Authorization Affidavit

Contact the Business Office (907) 834-1620 as soon as possible when canceling a vehicle reservation.

Persons Authorized to Use Motor Pool Vehicles
Motor pool vehicles are to be used for official College business only. Employees with current UA driver authorization affidavit

Authorized Drivers
College faculty and staff with a valid Alaska driver’s license and a good driving record are authorized drivers of University vehicles. PWSCC Administration also reserves the right to deny driving privileges or vehicle usage if factors indicate a potential risk greater than usual.

Any questions concerning authorized drivers may be addressed to the Business Manager (907) 834-1622. Allowing an unauthorized driver to operate a College vehicle may invalidate the University’s insurance coverage and will make the operator and/or department responsible for damages.

Vehicle Use Restrictions

  • Vehicles may be used for official College/University purposes only regardless of the source of travel funds.
  • College vehicles whether on short or long term checkout may not be used for transportation between personal residences and the College campus or other College station unless previously authorized.
  • Operators must observe commonly accepted rules of courtesy toward pedestrians and other drivers.
  • Operators must use and park the vehicle in a manner that will not reflect unfavorably on the College.

Off-Road Use
The College’s fleet contains vehicles such as passenger vans and sedans that are not designed to be driven off-road and should only be driven on approved paved streets and highways. Operating a College vehicle off-road without prior Business Office approval may result in the suspension or loss of driving privileges.

Pickup & Return Procedures

Picking Up Vehicles

The following is necessary to pick up a vehicle:

  • Valid drivers license
  • Expired licenses will not be accepted
  • Signed CHECK OUT LOG form
  • Receive insurance information/accident kit packet

Vehicles are presumed to be in good condition when released by the Business Office. However, operators should examine the vehicle prior to use and report any visible body damage to the business office.

In addition to inspecting the vehicle for body damage, the operator should also ensure that lights, turn signals, windshield wipers, etc are in working order and emergency equipment such as flares are provided.

Parking University Vehicles Off Campus

  • University vehicles are not exempt from parking fees at parking lots or meters.
  • Operators are personally responsible for parking violations, towing and/or storage resulting from parking violations.

Returning Vehicles During Operating Hours
Vehicles may be returned between 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Prior to returning the keys to the Business Office the vehicle must be parked in the Motor Pool parking Lot on the south end of the parking lot. The operator will be asked to sign the checkout log verifying the vehicle was returned.

Returning Vehicles After Operating Hours
The vehicle must be parked in the college parking lot with the keys locked in the vehicle. Vehicles should never be parked overnight at personal residence.

Late Return
Operators are requested to return vehicles promptly. When circumstances necessitate a change in the time of return the Business Office should be notified before the originally scheduled return date.

Vehicle Maintenance Policy
  • Operators of vehicles are required to obtain all repairs and maintenance services through the PWSCC Maintenance Department.

After 5:00pm, weekends, and holidays, contact PWSCC Administration. They will provide assistance with obtaining maintenance services or emergency services. Major repairs should not be performed without authorization from the business office.

If you are in need of towing, contact the business office for referral to a towing service.

After hours, weekends, or holidays emergencies contact the local Police Department.

Collisions / Emergencies

All collisions must be reported to the Business Office (907) 834-1620 immediately. If the collision happens outside the campus area, contact the police and get a report number, the name of the responding officer and report these to the business office. If an injury is involved immediately call the Business Manager (907-834-1622 or 907-831-1182), collect calls will be accepted.

In case of a collision :

  • Stop immediately.
  • Take required precautions to prevent further collisions at the scene.
  • If injury is involved, call 911 and the Business Manager (907) 834-1622. Collect calls will be accepted.
  • Accident forms and insurance information are located in the insurance information / emergency kit provided at check out. Accident forms must be filled out completely!
  • Take photos to document the accident scene.
  • Notify the Business Office of the collision.


  • Notify the Business Office or the nearest police agency to file a police report. Ensure you obtain the name of the police department and the report number for the police report.


  • Graffiti, physical damage, and any other form of vandalism must be reported to the Business Office or police agency. Ensure you obtain the name of the police department and the report number for the police report.
Winter Travel
  • All users on winter highway trips will be issued a Winter Emergency Kit containing basic winter survival gear and tools in the event you are caught in a road closure or stuck in snow and must wait for State Highway road crew or State Trooper assistance.
  • The Business Office will check road conditions at time of check-out to determine if vehicle use will be permitted.
  • State Road Report

Vehicle Rental

Transportation of people is one of the highest potentials for personal injury and property damage. The PWSCC Business Office is committed to the safety of all employees/passengers and is responsible for reducing possible risks and liabilities. Therefore request for car rentals are reviewed carefully. Some things to consider are:

  • You will be operating a vehicle that is unfamiliar.
  • How familiar are you with the area you will be driving?
  • Will you be mixing business with personal driving trips (shopping, sight seeing, etc)?

PWSCC administration recommends the use of taxi cabs or other form of public transit whenever reasonable. To help determine if it is appropriate to rent a vehicle please refer to the attached flow chart.

When to Rent a Car Flow Chart

Vehicle Renter/Travel Alert (UAA)
Recently some rental car agencies have been requiring UA employees to sign a special indemnification form that also names the rental agency as additionally insured. This practice is inconsistent with University regulations and Alaska self-insurance laws. It basically requires the University to insure the rental companies’ negligent acts. For the most part, the rental agencies are only requesting that renters sign this form when they are transporting teams, clubs, students, organizational members and the like. University of Alaska employees are not authorized to sign these forms. Instead employees should contact another rental company that does not require this document.


Travel & Transportation Safety

UAA Accounts Payble & Travel

UA Travel Risk Services