Transfer credit evaluations are performed for students who have been formally admitted to a degree or certificate program. All courses must have a grade of C or better to transfer from institutions outside the University of Alaska system. Within the University of Alaska system, a grade of D or better is transferable provided the student has earned a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher at the school in which the grade was earned. Where possible, transfer credit will be equated with PWSCC courses. To receive an associate degree from PWSCC at least 15 credits must be resident credits.
Transfer Credit is accepted only from institutions in the United States fully accredited by one of the following regional accrediting associations:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Steps necessary for transfer evaluation:
- Currently admitted to a degree or certificate program at PWSCC.
- Currently enrolled at PWSCC, or plan to enroll within the next semester.
- Request official transcripts to be sent directly to PWSCC, to the attention of the Registration Office.
- Notify Registration Office of request for evaluation.
- When the evaluation has been completed, the results, indicating transferable credits, will be available through your UAONLINE account.
PWSCC reserves the right to reject transfer credit, or to require an examination before credit is allowed.
As a practice, Prince William Sound Community College accepts as transfer credit only those credits earned by students at institutions accredited by regional accrediting associations. Accreditation by such associations, recoginzed by the U.S. Department of Education, demonstrates that the institution operates within commonly accepted standards of instruction. Credits from unaccredited institutions are not normally accepted.
Transfer Of Credit Towards General Education
The general education requirements for baccalaureate degrees from the University of Alaska system are required by university regulations to have a common core of course work totaling a minimum of 34 credits.
Category Credit Hours
Written Communication Skills: 6
Oral Communication Skills: 3
Humanities/Social Sciences/Fine Arts: 15
Quantitative Skills/Natural Sciences: 10
Credit for course work successfully completed at one University of Alaska institution towards fulfillment of the general education requirements at that institution shall transfer towards fulfillment of the same categories at all other University of Alaska institutions. This policy applies even if there is no directly matching course work at the institution to which the student transfers. It should be noted that the 34-credit common core is a minimum requirement for general education.
Transfer of general education beyond the 34 credits described above will be determined on the basis of individual requirements specified by university catalogs.
In its catalog, each University of Alaska institution specifies the courses which meet the general education categories at that institution and which can thus be guaranteed to transfer as described above. An institution may require more than 34 general education credits for its baccalaureate degrees, and transfer students must meet the total requirement at the receiving institution.