Step Two: Financial Aid & Scholarships
We invite you to discover the wide range of student financial aid opportunities available at PWSCC. PWSCC offers grants, scholarships, educational loans, and work-study opportunities to eligible students from a variety of sources.
PWSCC participate in all available federal and state financial aid programs, and we set aside funds from our college budgets to provide access to students with financial need. We use a need analysis formula approved by the U.S. Department of Education to determine student eligibility for financial aid, and we assist as many students as possible with meeting the direct educational costs (tuition & fees/books & supplies) incurred in attending any of our community colleges. Our college financial aid offices strive to provide access for all students regardless of the student’s ability to pay.
The majority of community college aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. In general students must meet the following requirements (among others) to receive financial aid from our community colleges:
- Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States with a valid Social Security number
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or pass an approved “ability to benefit” test
- Apply for admission to the community college and complete all admission requirements
- Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a certificate or degree
- Maintain enrollment as at least a half-time student (6 credits or more) per term while achieving satisfactory progress toward your certificate or degree
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year
- Demonstrate financial need
PWSCC’s school code is 011462.
Although our colleges accept financial aid applications throughout the year, many of the colleges have established “priority” or “preferred” application deadline dates to facilitate enrollment at the college. To enhance your chances of receiving adequate financial aid:
APPLY EARLY! Apply for financial aid as soon as possible after January 1 of each year you plan to be in college.
Every February, PWSCC hosts the Annual Scholarship Fundraiser. This event is a formal gathering in Valdez that raises over $25,000 annually. The money raised goes directly into a fund that Benefits You in the form of scholarships. To apply, click here to get the scholarship application. Make sure you download the application, it fast, easy, simple and won’t take long to fill out. Print it out, Fill it out and mail it to us at:
Student Services – PWSCC
PO BOX 97
VALDEZ AK 99686
Page Updated: November 1, 2011 by Ryan Adkins