History of PWSCC
Prince William Sound Community College (PWSCC or P-Dub) is a one-of-a-kind school located in the middle of historic Valdez, with extensions in Cordova and the Copper Basin. Located in South- central Alaska, PWSCC serves a geographic area of more than 44,000 square miles.
In 1971, concerned citizens of Valdez and Cordova petitioned the University of Alaska to establish extension offices in each of these communities. The centers offered their first courses in 1971. In 1976 a Learning Center was established in the Copper Basin area. Community college status was granted in July of 1978 and the three centers officially became Prince William Sound Community College. In 1989 PWSCC became accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
PWSCC continues to develop programs which responsibly serve the individuals residing in its entire service area.
History of The University of Alaska
On July 4, 1915, the Honorable James Wickersham, delegate to Congress from Alaska, laid the cornerstone for a land grant college. The Territorial Legislature, by its acts of May 4, 1917, accepted the land grant and created a corporation, The Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines, defining its duties and providing for a Board of Trustees.
The college opened on September 18, 1922, with the Honorable Charles E. Bunnell as president. The college became the University of Alaska by act of the Territorial Legislature on July 1, 1935 and the Board of Trustees became the Board of Regents.
In 1949, Dr. Terris Moore succeeded President Bunnell, who became President Emeritus. Dr. Earnest N. Patty was inaugurated as the third president of the University in 1953 and was named President Emeritus upon his retirement in 1960. Dr. William R. Wood became the University’s fourth president. Dr. Robert W. Hiatt became the fifth president in 1973 upon the retirement of Dr. Wood. Mr. Charles O. Ferguson became the Interim President from Feburary 1977 through August 1977. Mr. Neil D. Humphrey became President in August 1977 through December 1977. Mr. Foster Diebold was appointed president in February 1978 and was succeeded by Dr. Jay Barton in July 1979. Dr. Barton was granted an honorary degree in 1984, and was succeeded by Dr. Donald O’Dowd in July of that year. Dr. Jerome Komisar served as President until July 1998. He was succeeded by U. S. Army Major General Mark R. Hamilton who served as President until May 2010. Major General Mark Hamilton was succeeded by U.S. Air Force General Patrick Gamble in June 2010 who serves as the University of Alaska System President consisting of three major university centers — in Juneau, Fairbanks, and Anchorage — and one community college (PWSCC) serving the Prince William Sound and Copper Basin Regions.